Shortly about straw houses
Such houses are especially popular in the USA, Great Britain, Germany, Denmark and Belarus. In this way, factories, public buildings, schools are built in the world. The technology of straw houses has been becoming popular since 1995 in Europe. This novelty appeared in Lithuania recently but yet there are some examples of such houses. From the outside, they can be very similar to conventional houses. The difference will be felt by coming inside – there will be extremely pleasant microclimate.
Straw houses, mostly frame construction buildings, are built using natural, ecological materials such as pressed bales of straw, clay and wood. Straw briquettes are used to insulate not only walls, but also roofs, ceilings, partitions. The outside of the houses is plastered only by natural, “breathing” plaster.
1. Pressed straw exceptionally well retains the warmth. Therefore, the insulation does not require a large investment. The construction and installation of the straw house can save 25-35% of funds which we would need to build a house using traditional methods.
2. It is proved that the houses made of pressed bales of straw are resistant to strong to 215 km / h winds.
3. Walls, covered with 35-95 mm gypsum or clay, are much more resistant to fire than wooden walls. The plastered straw wall according to the flammability is certified as F-90 in Germany and attributed to a brick wall, i.e. completely non-flammable.
4. Straw briquettes perfectly absorb external sounds, so no extra sound insulation is needed.
5. Good microclimate and ecologically clear material do positive impact on the owners’ health.
6. The environment is less polluted, because straw is consumed but not burned.
7. If we choose the straw house, we will have the same ecological as the wooden house. However, not only the costs for construction will be lower, but we will also save trees, which don’t grow as quickly as straw.
8. Straw buildings can be built in various forms – even round. They may have both modern and traditional forms.